Costco and Walmart are the largest retail chains in the world. Both operate thousands of stores worldwide with a wide range of products. As of 2022, they are worth almost $500 billion combined. While you can shop at either of them for any product you require, the quality can differ for specific ranges.
The holiday season is around the corner. Thus, you may want to change your car battery or use an inverter to supplement an alternative energy grid. Both the retail chains will try to incentivize you with ridiculous offers on electricals. But which one should you choose for the best quality and reliability? Fret not, as here is your detailed guide on Walmart batteries vs. Costco batteries.
Walmart has a diverse selection of highly reliable, zero-maintenance batteries that come with at least six months of warranty. You can shop for everything from tiny rechargeable batteries for drones to large-sized Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) lead acid batteries for pickups and RVs.
The cost is a bit more than what you expect to pay from other outlets. But, given that Walmart can deliver it to your home and you can get affordable deals on electrical kits with equipment like jumper cables and a multimeter.
Much like Walmart, Costco offers a wide range of batteries to choose from. You can get Energizer or Duracell AAA batteries or lithium-ion battery packs. However, the highlight of the catalog is the Interstate AGM car battery that comes with a 36-month limited replacement warranty.
Unlike Walmart, you don’t have to scroll through the specifications every time you look up a battery. Costco comes with a battery finder on their official website that lets you choose the best one per your car’s make and model.
Which Is Better for Your Needs?
Now that you know of the batteries offered by both retail companies, it’s time to compare them head-to-head and study the pros/cons of their batteries individually.
Pros of Walmart Batteries
- Excellent startup power with 720 cold cranking amps and 120 minutes of reserve capacity
- All batteries can be delivered right to your home
- Precision-engineered for high durability
- Better vibration resistance than other battery types
- Great package deals with other electrical equipment
- If you choose to do it at a Walmart Autocare Center, you get a free battery checkup and installation
- Allows to recycle old batteries at a reasonable price
Cons of Walmart Batteries
- Individual batteries cost more compared to standard rates or other retail stores
- Reduced replacement warranty compared to Costco
- Complimentary maintenance is not available
- Cumbersome to choose the exact battery specifications you want
Pros of Costco Batteries
- Easy to locate the battery you need, thanks to Costco’s battery finder function on its official website
- A 36-month replacement warranty for all Interstate car batteries
- All batteries in stock are available at wholesale prices. You can examine the precise costs online
- Reliable car batteries from Interstate that work in almost any weather and have high-temperature tolerances
- Zero-maintenance batteries that can last for up to 5 years
- A 6-month optional maintenance plan to repair your battery for no extra cost
- If your battery of choice is not available in the nearby store, you can order one with matching specifications instead of waiting for an email notification
Cons of Costco Batteries
- Due to HAZMAT restrictions, Costco can’t deliver batteries to your home
- No dedicated automotive care centers. You have to replace the batteries on your own or through a professional garage
- No option to recycle old batteries
- Package deals with other electrical equipment usually not available
When it comes to high-density batteries, it all depends upon which one you prefer and where you reside. Costco can fetch you the best prices if you want a long-lasting battery and don’t mind visiting your local garage. But, if you want convenient and free installation for high-quality batteries and don’t mind a reduced warranty, Walmart is the ideal choice. They can even help you recycle old batteries, benefitting both the environment and your wallet.
You can see more in this article: Are Walmart Car Batteries Good?
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Costco batteries any good?
Yes. Costco works with leading brands in car batteries, including Energizer and Interstate. The AGM batteries can withstand high-temperature differences and have an excellent build quality to last up to five years with no maintenance requirements. Moreover, Costco offers a 36-month replacement warranty that you can avail of without adding to the retail price.
Is Walmart EverStart battery any good?
Yes. EverStart is the prime car battery manufacturer for Walmart. You can obtain one for your vehicle and forget about replacing it for a few years at least. The battery case for AGM batteries utilizes precision engineering to make the battery impact and vibration-resistant. Additionally, you can use Walmart’s own Autocare Centers for any checks or replacement services for free.
Who makes Kirkland Signature batteries for Costco?
Kirkland Signature is a series of non-rechargeable batteries that are manufactured by Duracell. You can find one that suits your needs, an AA battery or a 12-Volt car battery, from the official Costco website.
What store has the best battery prices?
Currently, Costco has the lowest battery prices for several variants you can procure from your nearest retail store. You can get higher prices with Walmart, but it can deliver your battery to your home, thus saving you on transportation costs.
Who makes Walmart’s battery?
Walmart has a wide range of battery collections from various manufacturers. While it is subject to stock availability, you can get batteries from Duracell, Energizer, Interstate, EverStart, and Panasonic, alongside other premium brands.
Is EverStart a good battery brand?
Yes. EverStart batteries have exceptional build quality and are highly durable. They are a bit pricey compared to similar capacity batteries from other brands, but that surcharge fetches you impressive vibration and impact resistance. All EverStart car batteries come with a 6-month replacement warranty.
The internet has made browsing easier for your battery of choice, even during an emergency. Whether Costco or Walmart, you can get the one you want near you or delivered straight to your doorstep. It would be interesting to see the Walmart battery vs. Costco battery competing for the top spot for sales in the coming holiday season. Regardless, you should choose the one that best suits your application.